Bios

Hey! I'm Deb 1 from NJ. I've been doing crafts for as long as I can remember. About 15 years ago I started scrapbooking, which lead to cardmaking about 2 years ago. I also have fun with vinyl and HTV. I'm a retired nurse, mother of 2 grown boys and have been married to my husband for 33 years

Hi This is Deb 2 I am from Essex Ontario Canada and have been in to card making for 6 yeas that lead to paper piecing and 3D papercrafting Also work with vinyl. I am a retired Animal Health Technician, single and the proud pet parent of 3 dogs and 1 cat

Monday 14 November 2016

Faux Rusting




Hi there!  Today I will be sharing my faux rusting technique that I used on my pick-up truck card.  The items you will need most of you will already have in your home.  They are: craft paint, mod podge, cinnamon (yep the spice), and a heat tool.



Since I am rusting small things, I'm using a q-tip to apply the paint and a toothpick to apply the mod podge.  Of course for larger items, you would use a paint brush.  The first thing to do is apply some paint to your object.  The color you use depends on the look you want.  Rust has many color variations, so you could use black, brown, yellow, orange, terracotta....you get the idea.  

Once the paint is applied, sprinkle some cinnamon on the paint.  Use your finger to really push it into the paint.

 Next, apply a thin layer of mod podge over the paint/cinnamon.

 Now, using your heat tool, start heating the painted area.  You will see the mod podge start to bubble and the texture starting to form.  Heat until the mod podge isn't white anymore.  It only takes a few seconds!


If you want more texture, simply add more cinnamon to your object while it's still warm, then sprinkle with cinnamon again, then heat set it.  The more layers, the more texture!  This technique can be used on most any type of material. I have not tested it for outdoor use, so I'm not sure if it would hold up or not.


Thanks asking about the tchnique I used, and if you have any questions or comments, please leave them below!

Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment